THE ARTIST BIRUTE NOMEDA STANKUNIENE HAS BEEN COVERED BY
Birute Nomeda Stankuniene, born 1963, graduated from Vilnius Arts Academy in 2009, lives and works in Vilnius, Lithuania. Since starting to fulfill her dreams of becoming a full-time professional artist, Birute opened her personal gallery and her work has been showcased in Lithuanian national and international exhibitions over thirty times. Birute’s art has been recognised by Saatchi Art Online gallery, featured on IUOMA and Slow Art day publications, multiple online blogs and press. The book ‘Seven Feelings according to the Book of Job’ has been published based solely on the artist’s painting series. Birute’s artworks have been purchased by private collectors from Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Russia, Holland, Denmark, Poland, Italy, UK, Brazil, and US. She is also a member of ‘Art Without Borders’, ‘Slow Art Day’ and ‘Jheronimus Bosch Plaza’ international projects.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
The artist is free in choosing her unique way of artistic expression notwithstanding what popular, fashioned, commercially successful art styles are dominating in Lithuania. Style of Birutė’s Nomeda’s abstract paintings is noble, having many meanings and at the same time summarising and concluding essential existential themes. The artist is impulsive and free. In her art, it is possible to recognise interpretation of many topics and episodic images, carrying in their selves’ sensation of transience and unsustainability. Often, pictures of Birutė Nomeda are like looking through the wet glass. Such impression is strengthened not only by suggestive paint leaks, but also by the gesture type strokes, thinness and transparency of paint layer, and of course by the fragility of the surface’s texture. The mysterious and bizarre shapes, intermittently appearing or disappearing on canvases are playing the equally unpredictable role. However, the key here is not the story but tension, created by strokes, drips and total composition.
The artist says: „ My creative motto could be best expressed in the words of Claude Monet: “Colours are my daylong obsession, joy and torment.” I want to become friend with colours, to come close to them and to plunge into the game of one or several colours. My style is developing towards more abstract painting, as I am trying to find myself in it. Abstract painting is an instrument allowing my soul and heart to speak about everything that is happening in the world and in my mind in the form of letters and diaries expressed in colours.”
Works of the artist have been exhibited over 30 times in Lithuania and abroad. In 2011 it was published a book “Seven Feelings According to Job’s Drama”, using works and graphic design of the artist. Reproductions of Birutė’s Nomeda’s works were published in IUOMA (International Union of Mail-Artists) publications, internet blogs and selected to the weekly Saatchi Art Online collections. Exhibitions of the artist’s works were covered by Lithuanian mass media and international media such like BBC Radio Solent, CNC News/Xinhua – China National News Agency and others. Paintings of the artist have travelled to hands of private art collectors and art lovers in Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Russia, Italy, Poland, the Netherlands, Denmark, the United Kingdom and the United States. The artist is a member of IUOMA, a global project „Slow Art Day“ and “Hieronymus Bosch Project” in Holland.
By Art Critic Dangira Buzytė
2009 – BA in Design, Vilnius Art Academy. 1987 – Kaunas Technology University, MA in engineering technology and design
2018 – ‘RETURN’ Slade Art Summer School, London
2019 – UCL ( University College London) Slade Summer School. Course – ‘Expanded Field Of Drawing’. Tutor – artist Jim Hobbs
2017 – UCL ( University College London) Slade Summer School. Course – ‘Painting In Contemporary Practice’. Tutors- PhD, artist Hephzibah Rendle-Short
2017 – Emily Ball course at Seawhite. Course – ‘Contemporary Abstract Painting’. Tutor – painter Helen Turner
EXHIBITIONS OR OTHER ARTISTIC INITIATIVES
- 2019 – The exhibition of the course ‘Expanded Field Of Drawing’. Tutor and curator – artist Jim Hobbs, Slade Summer School, London
- 2019 – International group exhibition ‘Death In The Age Of Social Media’ at ‘Deptford Does Art’ gallery, London
- 2019 – International group exhibition at Consiglio Regionale Toscana ‘Pegaso’, project ‘Art without borders, curator and organiser – ‘Florence Art Deposit Gallery’
- 2019 – International Art Fair ARTVILNIUS19; exhibited by ‘Immaginaria arti visive gallery’, Florence, Italy
- 2019 – International group exhibition at ‘Florence Art Deposit Gallery’, project ‘Art without borders
- 2018 – International group exhibition at ‘Immaginaria arti visive gallery’, Florence, Italy
- 2015 – National Exhibition ‘Ar(T)chyvas’ at Arka, the gallery of the Fine Art Union Lithuania. Participating work – ‘Shaded Signs‘
- 2013 – National Exhibition ‘ANATOMY of XXI c’ at Arka, the gallery of the Fine Art Union Lithuania. Participating works – ‘STIGMA I’, ‘STIGMA II’
- 2013 – Intercontinental Exhibition ‘United Nations: Nations – Water – Cultures“ United Nations Headquarters, New York (organisers: Inter-Art Foundation Aiud, Permanent Mission of Romania to the United Nations by Romanian Cultural Institute (ICR)). Participating work ‘Beware of the Artist’
- 2020 – ‘Letters’. K29 Business Centre, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2020 – ‘Don’t Come Close‘,‘Florence Art Deposit Gallery‘, Florence, Italy
- 2018 – ‘Contemplation’ at Gallery Immaginaria, Florence, Italy
- 2018 – ‘When the Meadow Blossoms Under The Snow’ at Business Centre k29 , Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2017 – The exhibition of paintings at “GREEN HALL” office buildings in Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2016 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ at Westminster Reference Art Library gallery, London
- 2016 – ‘Being In silence’ at Free Space Gallery, London
- 2015 – ‘Embracing life’ exhibition in Sherborne Abbey, Dorset, UK
- 2015 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ at The Business Centre ‘Goštauto 42’
- 2015 – Personal exhibition at the gallery of Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai House -Museum, Vilnius
- 2014 – Personal exhibition at the exhibition area of the Business Centre ‘VERTAS’, Vilnius. 2014 – ‘Towards Yourself’ at B.M. Stankūnienė’s Gallery, Cultural Centre of Marijampolė.
- 2013 – ‘About the Autumn’ at the exhibition area of Novotel Vilnius Centre, Vilnius
- 2012 – ‘Being Yourself’ Exhibition at the gallery of National UNESCO committee, Vilnius
- 2011 – ‘When the Stick Blooms’ exhibition at the gallery of Liudviko Rėzos Cultural Center, Juodkrantė
- 2009 – Exhibition at the Pažaislis monastery ensemble, Kaunas
- 2008 – ‘Summer’ exhibition at Elektrėnai Municipality exhibition area
- 2006 – ‘Beginning’ the first personal exhibition at the gallery of Culture Centre of Rumšiškės
Solo Exhibitions – ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’
The painting group ‘Seven Feelings According To The Book Of Job’ has been exhibited fourteen times in sacred and
exhibition areas, and other public spaces. The book ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ was published in 2011. Based on the group of seven paintings, it also includes extracts from the Book of Job (Old Testament) in French and Lithuanian.
- 2018 – Liškiava St. Trinity Church parish house. Liškiava, Lithuania
- 2016 – Vilnius St. Joseph’s Seminary, Lithuania .
- 2015 – Part of the exhibition ‘Embracing Life’. Sherborne Abbey, Dorset, United Kingdom
- 2013 – Shofar Gallery, Jewish Culture and Information Centre, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2013 – Church of Saints Francis of Assisi and Bernardine, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2012 – International Christian Conference. Krikštėnai Manor, Ukmergė District, Lithuania
- 2012 – Church of St. Casimir in Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2011 – Church of the Blessed Jurgis Matulaitis, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2010 – Parish House of the Parish of the Blessed Jurgis Matulaitis, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2010 – Vilnius Waldorf School, Lithuania
- 2010 – Church of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Šventežeris, Lithuania
- 2009 – Convent of the Servants of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Pavilnys, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2009 – Evangelical Lutheran Church, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2008 – Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Vytautas the Great Church), Kaunas, Lithuania
- 2008 – Church of the Bishop St. Stanislaus and St. Francis of Assisi in Paparčiai, Kaišiadorys District, Lithuania
- From 2019t ill now – participation in the project ‘Art without borders’ project, organiser – ‘Florence Art Deposit Gallery’, Florence, Italy.
- 2013, 2015 Participation in the international art movement ‘Slow Art Day’ with events in Vilnius,
- Organizer and participant at 2012 Art Tarandė. Art festival in Tarandė district, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Participation in the ‘Jheronimus Bosh Plaza’ project dedicated to Hieronimus Bosch, the Netherlands
2013, 2015 Participation in the international art movement ‘Slow Art Day’ with events in Vilnius,
Lithuania. organiser – Menų dirbtuvės’.
- 2011, 2012 Participant of the cultural festival ‘Kultūros naktis’ (Cultural Night) in Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2011- till now Management of cultural public enterprise, ’Menų dirbtuvėsVilnius’, Lithuania Member of IUOMA (International Union of Mail-Artists)
Workshops for children together with SoroptimistInternational Vilnius 1st Club, Lithuania
More information about the artist and her work is available at www.birutenomeda.comb.
The exhibitions by the artist BIrute Nomeda Stankūnienė were coveredby: BBC RADIO SOLENT, CNC, La Toscana nuova, LRT, DELFI, DORSET ECHO, 1BALTIJSKIJ KANAL etc.
Print, magazines and newspapers
- 2018 June, Exhibition “Contemplation” at Galleria Immaginaria, Florence, Italy covered by magazine of Cultural Association of Toscana region (Italy) – La Toscana nuova
- 2015, March 9, ‘Lithuanian lesson in embracing’, ‘Dorset Echo’ daily newspaper,0scar Tollast.
- 2015, March 5, ‘Lithuanian artist brings her works to abbey’, ‘Western Gazette ‘, weekly newspaper.
- 2014, April 19, ‘Without reconciliation there is no path to inner peace’ (‘Be susitaikymo nėra kelio į vidinę ramybę’ ), ‘DRAUGAS’, the Lithuanian world-wide daily newspaper, Algis Vaškevičius.
- 2013 November 2, ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job‘, (Septyni jausmai pagal Jobo dramą’), ‘DRAUGAS’, the Lithuanian world-wide daily newspaper, Laimutė Vasiliauskienė – Rožukienė.
- 2006, November 3, ‘Sometimes it is easier to speak in colors than in words’ (“Kartais lengviau pasakyti spalvomis, nei žodžiais”), ‘Kaišiadorių aidai’, Laima Kmeliauskienė
Catalogues with art works by the Artist
- 2018 May, Catalogue of selected art works by the Artist in English and Italian, 71 pages, A4.
- 2015 April 28, Catalogue of the exhibition ‘ ARTECHYVAS’ in the gallery Arka
- 2013 September 3. Catalogue of the exhibition ‘ANATOMY of XXI c’ in the gallery Arka.
- 2010 May 29.Catalogue of Vilnius auction 13.
Other Mass media
2018 – “CONTEMPLATION” at Gallery Immaginaria, Florence, Italy
- Magazine of Cultural Association of Toscana region (Italy) – La Toscana nuova, 2018 June, page 40
2018 – ‘WHEN THE MEADOW BLOSSOMS UNDER THE SNOW ” at k29 business center, Vilnius, Lithuania
2017 = The exhibition of paintings at “GREEN HALL” office buildings in Vilnius, Lithuania
2016 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ – exhibition at Westminster Art Library, London, UK was covered by:
- CNC Xinhua News Agency – video
- CNC Xinhua News Agency – text
- DELFI.lt the main internet portal of news in Lithuania–The exhibition of Lithuanian artist in London: no indifferent viewers.
- ARTRABBIT – an international platform for art events-‘Crazy Yellow’ – Exhibition of paintings
- LRT -Lithuanian National Television and Radio chanal.
- KAUNO DIENA.LT – daily news.
2016 – ‘Being in Silence’ – exhibition at Free Space gallery, London, UK was covered by:
- ARTRABBIT -is a platform for international contemporary art exhttps, ‘Walking in Silence’- Exhibition of paintings..https://www.artrabbit.com/events/walking-in-silence
- ARTSLANT – ArtSlant is a networking and content platform committed to providing a social perspective on art. ‘Walking in Silence’ – Exhibition of paintings by Birute Nomeda Stankuniene. http://ARTSLANT – ArtSlant is a networking and content platform committed to providing a social perspective on art. ‘Walking in Silence’ – Exhibition of paintings by Birute Nomeda Stankuniene.
- DELFI.LT – ‘Pasivaikščiojimai tyloje’- Londono „Free Space“ galerijoje – išskirtinė lietuvių menininkės tapybos paroda Skaitykite daugiau: http://www.delfi.lt/veidai/kultura/londono-free-space-galerijoje-isskirtine-lietuviu-menininkes-tapybos-paroda.d?id=72448674
2015 – ‘Embracing life’ exhibition in Sherborne Abbey, Dorset, UK was covered by:
UK mass media:
- Dorset Echo http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11840917.Touch_of_Lithuania_brought_to_Dorset/
- Western Gazette http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/8203-Lithuanian-artist-brings-work-abbey/story-26145484-detail/story.html
- Salisbury Diocese http://www.salisbury.anglican.org/news/life-affirming-art-in-sherborne-abbey
- Sherborne Town http://www.sherbornetown.com/events.aspx?id=485
- Tim Daykin show – BBC Radio Solent, Tim Daykin has mentioned the exhibition in his morning show, warmly recommending to visit.
Lithuanian mass media:
- Embassy of The Republic of Lithuania in United Kingdom, https://uk.mfa.lt/uk/en/news/lithuanian-artist-birute-nomeda-stankuniene-exhibits-at-sherborne-abbey
- Naktigonė – Laisvoji Banga. Radio interview with the artist – http://www.laisvojibanga.lt/naktigone-2015-02-27/
- 2015 ‘Kamane’,http://www.kamane.lt/eng/News/Fine-arts/Birute-Nomeda-Stankuniene-works-are-traveling-between-England-and-Lithuaniattp://kerki4.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=3709780&item=16639
- Anglija Today http://www.anglija.today/renginiai/sveikas-gyvenime–dailininkes-birutes-nomedos-stankunienes-tapybos-darbu-paroda-sherborne-katedroje-anglijoje
- Londoniete http://www.londoniete.lt/laisvalaikis/paroda-lietuve-dailininke-lauzo-simtmeciu-britu-tradicijas/2492
- ELTA – Lithuanian News Agency
- ‘Naujasis Židinys-Aidai’ illustrated cultural, religious and social life news
- In Russian language: http://ruconnect.co.uk/77535/v-abbatstve-sherborna-prohodit-yarkaya-vyistavka-litovskoy-hudozhnitsyi/
2015 The exhibition at “Marija and Jurgis and Šlapeliai” house museum gallery.
Online coverage at:
- 2015 ‘RESPUBLIKA’ daily news in Lithuania: http://www.respublika.lt/lt/naujienos/kultura/kulturos_naujienos/bnstankunienes_paroda__lyg_spalvota_kelione_laiku
- 2015 ‘Kamane’, cultural news site:
- 2015 ’Elta’ Lithuanian News Agency:
Exhibitions ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ was covered:
- 2013 – BNS, Baltic News Service http://sc.bns.lt/view/item.php?id=152550
- 2008 – XXI amžius. Christian thought, culture and society news http://www.xxiamzius.lt/numeriai/2008/01/25/kbend_04.html
- 2011-Bernardinai.lt, daily news site http://www.bernardinai.lt/straipsnis/2011-04-07-palaimintojo-jurgio-matulaicio-baznycioje-tapybos-darbu-paroda-septyni-jausmai-pagal-jobo-drama/60889
Gallery ŠOFAR Exhibitions ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ was covered:
- lt, Vilnius Municipality daily news site http://www.vilnius.lt/lit/Galerijoje_sofar__tapybos_darbu_paroda_s/9520/8416026
- Made in Vilnius.lt http://www.madeinvilnius.com/lt/kultura/galerijoje-sofar-atidaryta-tapybos-darbu-paroda/i/
2012 Exhibition ‘Being Yourself’ at the gallery of National UNESCO committee , Vilnius.was covered
- ELTA, BNS, Lithuanian National Radio, Blt.
- lt Online news about national cultural and social life
http://alkas.lt/2012/10/24/vyks-menininkes-b-stankunienes-tapybos-darbu-parodos-buti-savimi-atidarymas/ 2012 ART FAIR, ‘Art Tarandė-2012’
- 2012 – Bernardinai.lt, daily news site http://www.bernardinai.lt/straipsnis/2012-09-04-vilniuje-dailes-paroda-muge-art-tarande-2012/87528
- 2012-15min.lt, daily news site http://zebra.15min.lt/lt/laisvalaikis/renginiai/renginys/kita/Originali-dailes-paroda-muge-Art-Tarande-2012.html
- 2012 – ELTA – Lithuanian News Agency http://pranesimai.elta.lt/news/public_view/17266
- Kauno alėja.lt, Kaunas City daily news on line. http://archive-lt.com/lt/k/kaunoaleja.lt/2012-10-03_362426_60/Kaunoal%C4%97ja_lt
Other appearances on RADIO, TV:
- Marijampole District TV News, coverage of the exhibition at Marijampolė Cultural Centre. https://youtu.be/KweU5MBYERI?t=17m33s
- Marijos Radijas, radio interview about the artist’s path of becoming professional artist. http://www.marijosradijas.lt/radijo-laidos/pokalbiai/19286-2012-03-08-17-20-lyderis.html
- Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/user/birutenomeda
- The beginning of Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė’s gallery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLvW3NrzDaU
- The exhibition ‘Embracing Life‘, UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmd75cv94m4
I am an abstract artist Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė. I have been working intensively for about 15 years. My turn point to the arts from engineering was in 2004, in 2009 graduated from Vilnius Academy, where I majored in design. It was the design and engineering approach to the process of creativity, that led me to abstract painting.
Looking at my body of work in its entirety, I can see certain communions, transformations and repetitions. From the first still-lifes and landscapes, I turned gradually towards abstraction. My works became less and less realistic. Some motives and ideas are repeated in a spiral. These are spots, expressive lines and plant motives. On each new turn of the spiral, something new has appeared. Over time, the colour, composition and intensity of the stroke have changed.
Most of my work is created in oil or acrylic on canvas, or on paper. I have started an experiment with printing techniques, used materials, cellophane, polyethylene, aluminium foil. With the help of my design experience, created several installations. But the anxiety, a certain roughness, has remained in my work. I would attribute much of my work to colour field painting or the style of abstract expressionism. Color, stain, line, result, emotion – are just as important to me as a process and idea. But I still don’t know who I am as an artist. I’m still looking, I’m still extremely hungry for the creativity and I don’t know what could satiate me. I only know that I’m not a minimalist.
My work is characterized by clear, mostly pure colours. Most often, each picture has a limited palette: sometimes only one or two colours. Some works are dominated by a thick, spontaneous stroke, while others are dominated by a thin, brittle, transparent paint coating, various paint leakages. All my works are more or less abstract. However, I wouldn’t say they are completely spontaneous, subconsciously driven creations. There is a reciprocal dance between the senses – the impulses – the idea of controlling the intensity of my stroke and a result. Like jazz and tango, leading each other in sequence. I am currently interested in the contrasts of materiality; between a smooth and rough surface, a thick and thin layer of paint, monochrome and multicolour, between a calm and feverish stroke.
To say the theme of my work is nature is only partially right. For me, nature is just a starting point and a source of inspiration. All the themes of my work are about the human and his states, feelings, experiences. I create through the filter of my experience, through the prism of my understanding of the world, or identifying with a certain experience, using nature only as a metaphor or code.
Although my works are abstract, there is nothing obscure in them. They are realistic and specific in their content. For a physicist, the letters and symbols in formulas are meanings and signs which describe real phenomena, albeit phenomena that is sometimes difficult to comprehend or imagine. I code with colours and marks, just like that physicist, to summarize the human experience in order to tell others. I believe that my coloured formulas will be the key to a certain communion. Creativity is first and foremost an opportunity for me to share, and abstract painting allows me to tell when words no longer exist or have not existed.
Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė