THE ARTIST BIRUTE NOMEDA STANKUNIENE HAS BEEN COVERED BY
Birute Nomeda Stankuniene, born 1963, graduated from Vilnius Arts Academy in 2009, lives and works in Vilnius, Lithuania. Since starting to fulfill her dreams of becoming a full-time professional artist, Birute opened her personal gallery and her work has been showcased in Lithuanian national and international exhibitions over thirty times. Birute’s art has been recognised by Saatchi Art Online gallery, featured on IUOMA and Slow Art day publications, multiple online blogs and press. The book ‘Seven Feelings according to the Book of Job’ has been published based solely on the artist’s painting series. Birute’s artworks have been purchased by private collectors from Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Russia, Holland, Denmark, Poland, Italy, UK, Brazil, and US. She is also a member of the IUOMA, Slow Art Day and Jheronimus Bosch Plaza international projects.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė was born in 1963. In 2009 she has graduated Vilnius Art Academy and lives in Vilnius.
The artist is free in choosing her unique way of artistic expression notwithstanding what popular, fashioned, commercially successful art styles are dominating in Lithuania. Style of Birutė’s Nomeda’s abstract paintings is noble, having many meanings and at the same time summarising and concluding essential existential themes. The artist is impulsive and free. In her art, it is possible to recognise interpretation of many topics and episodic images, carrying in their selves’ sensation of transience and unsustainability. Often, pictures of Birutė Nomeda are like looking through the wet glass. Such impression is strengthened not only by suggestive paint leaks, but also by the gesture type strokes, thinness and transparency of paint layer, and of course by the fragility of the surface’s texture. The mysterious and bizarre shapes, intermittently appearing or disappearing on canvases are playing the equally unpredictable role. However, the key here is not the story but tension, created by strokes, drips and total composition.
The artist says: „ My creative motto could be best expressed in the words of Claude Monet: “Colours are my daylong obsession, joy and torment.” I want to become friend with colours, to come close to them and to plunge into the game of one or several colours. My style is developing towards more abstract painting, as I am trying to find myself in it. Abstract painting is an instrument allowing my soul and heart to speak about everything that is happening in the world and in my mind in the form of letters and diaries expressed in colours.”
Works of the artist have been exhibited over 30 times in Lithuania and abroad. In 2011 it was published a book “Seven Feelings According to Job’s Drama”, using works and graphic design of the artist. Reproductions of Birutė’s Nomeda’s works were published in IUOMA (International Union of Mail-Artists) publications, internet blogs and selected to the weekly Saatchi Art Online collections. Exhibitions of the artist’s works were covered by Lithuanian mass media and international media such like BBC Radio Solent, CNC News/Xinhua – China National News Agency and others. Paintings of the artist have travelled to hands of private art collectors and art lovers in Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Russia, Italy, Poland, the Netherlands, Denmark, the United Kingdom and the United States. The artist is a member of IUOMA, a global project „Slow Art Day“ and “Hieronymus Bosch Project” in Holland.
By Art Critic Dangira Bužytė
2009 – BA in Design, Vilnius Art Academy. 1987 – Kaunas Technology University, MA in engineering technology and design
2017, UCL ( University College London) Slade Summer School. Course – ‘Painting In Contemporary Practice’. The tutor – PhD, artist Hephzibah Rendle-Short.
2017 Emily Ball course at Seawhite. Course – ‘Contemporary Abstract Painting’. The tutor – painter Helen Turner
EXHIBITIONS OR OTHER ARTISTIC INITIATIVES
- 2015 – National Exhibition ‘Ar(T)chyvas’ in Arka, the gallery of the Fine Art Union Lithuania. Participating work – ‘Shaded Signs‘.
- 2013 – National Exhibition ‘ANATOMY of XXI c’ in Arka, the gallery of the Fine Art Union Lithuania. Participating works – ‘STIGMA I’, ‘STIGMA II’.
- 2013 – Intercontinental Exhibition ‘United Nations: Nations – Water – Cultures“ United Nations Headquarters, New York (organisers: Inter-Art Foundation Aiud, Permanent Mission of Romania to the United Nations by Romanian Cultural Institute (ICR)). Participating work ‘Beware of the Artist’: http://www.inter-art.ro/usa2013/.
- 2016 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ at Westminster Reference Art Library gallery, London.
- 2016 – ‘Being In silence’ at Free Space Gallery, London,
- 2015 – ‘Embracing life’ exhibition in Sherborne Abbey, Dorset, UK
- 2015 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ at Business Centre ‘Goštauto 42’
- 2015 – Personal exhibition at the gallery of Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai House -Museum, Vilnius.
- 2014 – Personal exhibition at the exhibition area of Business Centre ‘VERTAS’, Vilnius. 2014 – ‘Towards Yourself’ at B.M. Stankūnienė’s Gallery, Cultural Centre of Marijampolė.
- 2013 – ‘About the Autumn’ at the exhibition area of Novotel Vilnius Centre, Vilnius.
- 2012 – ‘Being Yourself’ Exhibition at the gallery of National UNESCO committee, Vilnius.
- 2011 – ‘When the Stick Blooms’ exhibition at the gallery of Liudviko Rėzos Cultural Center, Juodkrantė.
- 2009 – Exhibition at the Pažaislis monastery ensemble, Kaunas.
- 2008 – ‘Summer’ exhibition at Elektrėnai Municipality exhibition area.
- 2006 – ‘Beginning’ the first personal exhibition at the gallery of Culture Centre of Rumšiškės.
Solo Exhibitions – ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’
The painting group ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ has been exhibited 14 times in sacral, exhibition and other non-exhibition public spaces. The book ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ has been published in 2011. Based on the group of seven paintings, it also includes extracts from the Book of Job (Old Testament) in French and Lithuanian.
- 2016 – Vilnius ST. Joseph’s Seminary for priests’
- 2013 – SHOFAR gallery, Jews Cultural Centre, Vilnius.
- 2013 – Bernardinai Church, Vilnius.
- 2012 – International Christian Conference Krikštėnai Manor, Ukmerges Dist.
- 2012 – St. Casimir Church, Vilnius.
- 2011 – Blessed Jurgis Matulaitis Church, Vilnius.
- 2010 – Blessed Jurgis Matulaitis Parish House, Vilnius.
- 2010 – Waldorf school, Vilnius.
- 2010 – Šventežeris’ church, Šventežeris.
- 2009 – Pavilnys’ convent, Vilnius.
- 2009 – The Lutheran church, Vilnius.
- 2008 – Vytautas’ church, Kaunas.
- 2008 – Paparčiai’ church, Kaišiadorys Dist.
- Jheronimus Bosch project
- 2013, 2015, Participation at ‘Slow art day movement’
- 2012 ‘ART TARANDE’. Art festivity in Vilnius Tarande district
- 2011, 2012 The member of cultural festival ‘Kultūros naktis’ in Vilnius.
- Management of personal Birute Nomeda Stankuniene’s gallery.
- Member of IUOMA (International Union Of Mail Artist).
- Workshops for children together with Soroptimist International Vilnius 1st Club.
The exhibitions by the artist BIrute Nomeda Stankūnienė were coveredby: BBC RADIO SOLENT, CNC, LRT, DELFI, DORSET ECHO, 1BALTIJSKIJ KANAL etc.
Print, magazines and newspapers
- 2015, March 9, ‘Lithuanian lesson in embracing’, ‘Dorset Echo’ daily newspaper,0scar Tollast.
- 2015, March 5, ‘Lithuanian artist brings her works to abbey’, ‘Western Gazette ‘, weekly newspaper.
- 2014, April 19, ‘Without reconciliation there is no path to inner peace’ (‘Be susitaikymo nėra kelio į vidinę ramybę’ ), ‘DRAUGAS’, the Lithuanian world-wide daily newspaper, Algis Vaškevičius.
- 2013 November 2, ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job‘, (Septyni jausmai pagal Jobo dramą’), ‘DRAUGAS’, the Lithuanian world-wide daily newspaper, Laimutė Vasiliauskienė – Rožukienė.
- 2006, November 3, ‘Sometimes it is easier to speak in colors than in words’ (“Kartais lengviau pasakyti spalvomis, nei žodžiais”), ‘Kaišiadorių aidai’, Laima Kmeliauskienė
- 2015 April 28, Catalogue of the exhibition ‘ ARTECHYVAS’ in the gallery Arka
- 2013 September 3. Catalogue of the exhibition ‘ANATOMY of XXI c’ in the gallery Arka.
- 2010 May 29.Catalogue of Vilnius auction 13.
Other Mass media
2016 – ‘Crazy Yellow’ – exhibition at Westminster Art Library, London, UK was covered by:
- CNC Xinhua News Agency -http://en.cncnews.cn/news/v_show/61140_Painting_exhibition_Crazy_Yellow.shtml
- DELFI.lt the main internet portal of news in Lithuania–The exhibition of Lithuanian artist in London: no indifferent viewers.
- ARTRABBIT – an international platform for art events-‘Crazy Yellow’ – Exhibition of paintings
- LRT -Lithuanian National Television and Radio chanal.
- KAUNO DIENA.LT – daily news.
2016 – ‘Being in Silence’ – exhibition at Free Space gallery, London, UK was covered by:
- ARTRABBIT -is a platform for international contemporary art exhttps, ‘Walking in Silence’- Exhibition of paintings..https://www.artrabbit.com/events/walking-in-silence
- ARTSLANT – ArtSlant is a networking and content platform committed to providing a social perspective on art. ‘Walking in Silence’ – Exhibition of paintings by Birute Nomeda Stankuniene. http://ARTSLANT – ArtSlant is a networking and content platform committed to providing a social perspective on art. ‘Walking in Silence’ – Exhibition of paintings by Birute Nomeda Stankuniene.
- DELFI.LT – ‘Pasivaikščiojimai tyloje’- Londono „Free Space“ galerijoje – išskirtinė lietuvių menininkės tapybos paroda Skaitykite daugiau: http://www.delfi.lt/veidai/kultura/londono-free-space-galerijoje-isskirtine-lietuviu-menininkes-tapybos-paroda.d?id=72448674
2015 – ‘Embracing life’ exhibition in Sherborne Abbey, Dorset, UK was covered by:
UK mass media:
- Dorset Echo http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11840917.Touch_of_Lithuania_brought_to_Dorset/
- Western Gazette http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/8203-Lithuanian-artist-brings-work-abbey/story-26145484-detail/story.html
- Salisbury Diocese http://www.salisbury.anglican.org/news/life-affirming-art-in-sherborne-abbey
- Sherborne Town http://www.sherbornetown.com/events.aspx?id=485
- Tim Daykin show – BBC Radio Solent, Tim Daykin has mentioned the exhibition in his morning show, warmly recommending to visit.
Lithuanian mass media:
- Embassy of The Republic of Lithuania in United Kingdom, https://uk.mfa.lt/uk/en/news/lithuanian-artist-birute-nomeda-stankuniene-exhibits-at-sherborne-abbey
- Naktigonė – Laisvoji Banga. Radio interview with the artist – http://www.laisvojibanga.lt/naktigone-2015-02-27/
- 2015 ‘Kamane’,http://www.kamane.lt/eng/News/Fine-arts/Birute-Nomeda-Stankuniene-works-are-traveling-between-England-and-Lithuaniattp://kerki4.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=3709780&item=16639
- Anglija Today http://www.anglija.today/renginiai/sveikas-gyvenime–dailininkes-birutes-nomedos-stankunienes-tapybos-darbu-paroda-sherborne-katedroje-anglijoje
- Londoniete http://www.londoniete.lt/laisvalaikis/paroda-lietuve-dailininke-lauzo-simtmeciu-britu-tradicijas/2492
- ELTA – Lithuanian News Agency
- ‘Naujasis Židinys-Aidai’ illustrated cultural, religious and social life news
- In Russian language: http://ruconnect.co.uk/77535/v-abbatstve-sherborna-prohodit-yarkaya-vyistavka-litovskoy-hudozhnitsyi/
2015 The exhibition at “Marija and Jurgis and Šlapeliai” house museum gallery.
Online coverage at:
- 2015 ‘RESPUBLIKA’ daily news in Lithuania: http://www.respublika.lt/lt/naujienos/kultura/kulturos_naujienos/bnstankunienes_paroda__lyg_spalvota_kelione_laiku
- 2015 ‘Kamane’, cultural news site:
- 2015 ’Elta’ Lithuanian News Agency:
Exhibitions ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ was covered:
- 2013 – BNS, Baltic News Service http://sc.bns.lt/view/item.php?id=152550
- 2008 – XXI amžius. Christian thought, culture and society news http://www.xxiamzius.lt/numeriai/2008/01/25/kbend_04.html
- 2011-Bernardinai.lt, daily news site http://www.bernardinai.lt/straipsnis/2011-04-07-palaimintojo-jurgio-matulaicio-baznycioje-tapybos-darbu-paroda-septyni-jausmai-pagal-jobo-drama/60889
Gallery ŠOFAR Exhibitions ‘Seven Feelings According to The Book of Job’ was covered:
- lt, Vilnius Municipality daily news site http://www.vilnius.lt/lit/Galerijoje_sofar__tapybos_darbu_paroda_s/9520/8416026
- Made in Vilnius.lt http://www.madeinvilnius.com/lt/kultura/galerijoje-sofar-atidaryta-tapybos-darbu-paroda/i/
2012 Exhibition ‘Being Yourself’ at the gallery of National UNESCO committee , Vilnius.was covered
- ELTA, BNS, Lithuanian National Radio, Blt.
- lt Online news about national cultural and social life
http://alkas.lt/2012/10/24/vyks-menininkes-b-stankunienes-tapybos-darbu-parodos-buti-savimi-atidarymas/ 2012 ART FAIR, ‘Art Tarandė-2012’
- 2012 – Bernardinai.lt, daily news site http://www.bernardinai.lt/straipsnis/2012-09-04-vilniuje-dailes-paroda-muge-art-tarande-2012/87528
- 2012-15min.lt, daily news site http://zebra.15min.lt/lt/laisvalaikis/renginiai/renginys/kita/Originali-dailes-paroda-muge-Art-Tarande-2012.html
- 2012 – ELTA – Lithuanian News Agency http://pranesimai.elta.lt/news/public_view/17266
- Kauno alėja.lt, Kaunas City daily news on line. http://archive-lt.com/lt/k/kaunoaleja.lt/2012-10-03_362426_60/Kaunoal%C4%97ja_lt
Other appearances on RADIO, TV:
- Marijampole District TV News, coverage of the exhibition at Marijampolė Cultural Centre. https://youtu.be/KweU5MBYERI?t=17m33s
- Marijos Radijas, radio interview about the artist’s path of becoming professional artist. http://www.marijosradijas.lt/radijo-laidos/pokalbiai/19286-2012-03-08-17-20-lyderis.html
- Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/user/birutenomeda
- The beginning of Birutė Nomeda Stankūnienė’s gallery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLvW3NrzDaU
- The exhibition ‘Embracing Life‘, UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmd75cv94m4